Farinata (easy and quick version)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the chickpea flour, water, olive oil, spices and salt until smooth. This mixture must rest for at least 30 minutes to allow the water to be absorbed into the flour. (Some cooks believe it should rest for hours. I have made this using the 30 minute method and it's wonderful.)
- After the batter is done resting, place the oven rack around 6-8" from broiling element, and preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Insert your cast iron skillet into the hot oven, turn it on broil, and let the skillet get hot for 5 minutes.
- Remove the hot skillet from the oven, add around 1 t olive oil and let it coat the pan. Pour the batter into the pan, tilting it so the batter covers the bottom. [Carefully add your toppings now if wanted.]
- Put it back into the oven and broil it for around 7 minutes (depends on your oven). It should be crispy on the edges, and softer in the center (but not liquid-y).
- Using a small metal spatula, loose it from the pan. Cut it into wedges or strips, and serve warm from the pan.
This is heavenly when eaten warm out of the oven, however, you can keep it in the refrigerator for a few days and warm/toast it..